Wednesday, June 28, 2006

CLASS of 68

2007 CLASS REUNION IS JULY 20th. If you didn't get the final notice to sign up, then there's a problem with your address. Contact Linda or Jim Machen. SEE YOU THERE!

Childhood: Carefree & Happy
(1952-1962)
Jan Greene Sprott: I remember life so carefree and happy. Walking to school and coming home for lunch, cutting my bangs right before pictures in 3rd grade I believe. Leaves in the fall---crunchy under your feet or wet and slippery. Bible drills at First Baptist Church and GA's and wanting to maybe be a Methodist because they also got to go to Girl Scouts (GA's met at the same time as Girl Scouts), thinking I had flunked 3rd grade the last day of school until Nancy Collins pointed to where it said 4th grade (I thought the 3 magically turned to a 4 if you passed), loving my Moma's wonderful home cooked and mostly home grown meals and Daddy playing H-O-R-S-E in basketball with me, my home I felt so safe and secure in, playing at Stuart Springs Park and saying cuss words I didn't know the meaning of and swinging from grapevines, a surprise party after school for my 11th (?maybe 12th or 13th--Dora do you rememeber?) birthday and I had to stay after school for talking in class and everyone had to hide behind trees for an hour waiting on me --then getting in bad trouble with Moma for talking in class and having to stay after school--and making everyone hide in the trees for so long, swimming at the city pool everyday from 2 until 6, always having to come home from Janet Crawley's house because her daddy was my doctor and when he walked inthe door I got scared and had to be taken home and that was so dumb because he was so nice always--the memories are endless---and happy. And this was all when I was a littel girl ---before the real fun of teenage years started!!!!!

Postscript: OK, so I wrote all that about Forrest City---then read the blog and mine isn't like everyone else's. Oh well. I could write for a week and not get everything in and maybe this is going into cyberspace anyway so it won't matter after all. On the city's northern border, reared against the sky---------------jan



"Old Friends Still Visit" --Recent Pix From Dora:
Dora Flanagin, Nancy Collins, Jan Greene, Margie Sharp, Sula McAuley, Joan McCain, Billie Jean Rowland, Linda Rosica






4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jAN i LOVED YOUR STORY. dO YOU HAVE ONE ABOUT A ROOSTER, bURL lIEBLONG AND sTUDY HALL??lol

Thu Aug 17, 03:39:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THank you Lin, that comment was sweet espeically with the years rolling by! We girls were in the eigth grade when Donna was Miss America! The closest we ever came to being Miss American then was that we loved God, country and applepie! Thanks for making our 55th birthdays easier to take but isnt it all about wisdom anyway??? hey do you remember the kirkpatrick dog who would bite or bark at you or me? dogs usually love me but he didnt. Not linus but the other one

Fri Aug 18, 04:45:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the big black Greyhound the Kirkpatricks had. I think his name was Jack.

Sat Aug 19, 08:47:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange that you should think of that hateful little dog as I tought of her on Friday. I think the dog was named Foxie and as often as we were in and out of that house she only went for us. I still have a scar on my right hand from one of her bites.

Mon Aug 21, 08:28:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home