Sunday, July 02, 2006

CLASS of 51

Kudos to whoever started the Peach Tree Chronicles. I couldn't resist writing from the class of '51. There are six of us girls who get together for lunch every two months or so. It's the most amazing thing, that even though there are wrinkles and other signs of "mature" women (but no gray hair) we are all still beautiful, vivacious Forrest City belles. We have decided that it's the water that makes Forrest Citians so special. When we were young we used to go most nice Saturdays to Norfleet's Springs, later named Stuart Springs. We would roam the woods and always drink the water from the springs.

I must respond to the haunted house article. I was born in the house that is now the museum. The Rush's were my grandparents. We lived there until I was five and it wasn't haunted then or when my friends and I were older and played and spent the night there. My aunt, who lived there later, kept hearing noises upstairs, but when she called the police they discovered that racoons had gotten in. So, if it is haunted it must have happened when the museum moved in.

So many good memories from growing up in Forrest City. Does anyone remember the hot tamale man pushing his cart? the tamales were three for a quarter and delicious.

Another note from the Class of '51: I have such fond memories of the swimming pool every day in the summer and Butler's for delicious barbecue. And that was almost out in the country! We would take up collection on Sunday afternoons (all of 50 cents) and ride around all afternoon. I was a cheerleader and the Mustang football games were such fun and the dances afterward. I can attest that Dr. Rush's house (now the museum) was not haunted. We had fun there and they had a player piano that we enjoyed. Going to Memphis and the Peabody for the sorority and fraternity formals is another fond memory. And the picture show on Sunday afternoons. I remember walking to the picture show down Washington in my first pair of high heels. Forrest City was a wonderful place to grow up in!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings & so glad to hear from you! I definitely remember the hot tamales...but not sure I recall the cart (I'm 56). Didn't see the article in the FC Times but someone else on the blog said there was an article a couple of weeks ago in the paper about a ghost investigation at the Rush house. Never knew the Rush house -- just the Becker house which was definitely spooky.

Sun Jul 02, 06:46:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the hot tamale man. he had a minnow bucket and would go down the street yelling, "red hot red hot Hey hot tamalees. I would beg mother to get them and I was about four or five years old then.

Tue Jul 04, 01:38:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my mother would send me downtown on my bike to find a woman pushing a three wheel cart who sold hot tamales. this must have been in 1965-68. I would have been between 11 and 14 at the time. She could usually be found near Ferguson's before noon. They cost 5 cents each.

Thu Jul 06, 07:25:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Class of 51 lady- you are a true delight!such fond memories. You mentioned the very things I loved about Forrest City. A small town and close to a large city with the history of the Peabody. I think all of us lived a little of John Grisham and his novels! Thanks for the memories! Dora

Fri Jul 14, 05:43:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Peach Fuzz said...

Butler's Cafe - yes, I vaguely remember it. I think it was torn down to make way for the "new" civic center building? Seems like it was gone before I was a teenager - perhaps it was vacant a few years before demolition? I had been inside a few times in my childhood and seem to remember it having a "roadhouse" atmosphere. Too bad places like that have faded into the past. Paul G.

Mon Jul 17, 12:52:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home